Monday, June 2, 2014

banana llama

Hey there!

I've decided "trying out this recipe" is too long and boring a post title--so whenever I test out a recipe I will hereby refer to it as an animal that hopefully rhymes with whatever I'm making.

I made banana shortbread today, using the recipe from Anna's Table with a few adjustments. Firstly, I had to double the recipe because of the amount of butter I had was difficult to make smaller, but I think it turned out quite well! Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:


  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 3/4 cup icing sugar
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
  • 2 large bananas, mashed


Instructions:

In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Cut in butter (I used a spoon) until the mixture looks like gravel. Mash your two bananas (I cut them into small pieces, mashed it with a fork, and then whisked it so that it would be smooth, but you could probably use large chunks if you wanted) and pour half into the mixture. Cut as you did the butter. The dough should start to form. Add the other half of the mashed bananas, and mix until all the flour is gone and you have a big ball of dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes, or until hard enough to work with.

Preheat oven to 375 F (my oven is old, so the equivalent for a newer oven would be 300 F or 325 F). Cut dough in half. Place one half on a floured piece of wax paper and put the other half back in the fridge (or leave it out if you're not worried about it getting soft again). Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into rectangles (what I did - 2.5 inch by 1 inch) or use cookie cutters of your choosing. Decorate if you'd like! Bake for about 25 minutes (probably 15 with a not-super-old oven!).

It's not quite as loose as shortbread is supposed to be (it's kind of chewy when it's warm!) but it's a really creamy banana sugar cookie type of snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment