Sunday, August 17, 2014

SO crafty! sundays - eeveelutions

Who here has never heard of pokemon? Hands up. Well, if you're hand was up, SHAME ON YOU.

Just kidding.

Pokemon was basically my life growing up. I loved cartoons so, so much when I was little (STILL DO, NO SHAME). They basically fuelled my life and also shaped me into what I am now. I'm not saying cartoons are good for kids, I'm just saying they're not all that bad for kids in moderation.

Anyway, I grew up with Hello Kitty, Sailor Moon, Hamtaro, and, of course, Pokemon. My favourite Pokemon? Eevee. Not just eevee, though, eevee and all of the eeveelutions. So this SO crafty! sunday is all about them.

Firstly, amigurumi. Amigurumi is, to briefly explain, the Japanese art of crocheting dolls. You may thinks that's silly, because it's just crochet, but most North American crochet is of scarves, blankets, mittens, or generic toys like The Princess or The Dragon. Amigurumi is usually the crocheting of characters; for example, pikachu from Pokemon, The 11th Doctor from Doctor Who, or Harry Potter from the Harry Potter series.

Let me tell you this, sonny: there is a ton of super cute, super cool, and maybe-not-super-easy-but-not-super-difficult amigurumi patterns of eeveelutions on the web.

aphid777 on deviantArt has a lot of free, super cute eevee and evolutions in her gallery! :) For the basic eevee, visit here. REMEMBER: Everyone has different rules for their tutorials, especially for crochet/knit things that require patterns and, for simpler patterns, very little skill or understanding. For that reason, people who post free patterns, such as aphid777, usually require that you credit them and do not sell the pattern or finished product. Even if you do sell the finished product, please don't do it obnoxiously--for example, selling it online or making a point of "legally I can sell it". If you really need to sell it (someone asked you to make one for them, and you don't want to say, but you don't want to do it for free) then make it very clear that you are charging them for material and time. I'm not sure if that justifies it, but I think it's better than just blindly taking credit for everything. 

Eevee shrink film charms. This is very helpful! I never knew how you made the colour look so nice.

This is a site full of pokemon paper crafts--most importantly, however, is that they have this super adorable paper version of a jolteon (and the rest somewhere, I reckon).

If you didn't know, I'm a huge fan of 3D origami.

Super old picture (2011)
Therefore, 3D origami eeveelutions are heaven. As much as I like this vaporeon, I personally prefer things to be smaller and cuter, so I would probably make a few adjustments--but that's just me! (Note: This is not a tutorial, but if you get the basics of 3D origami, "copying" other people's projects aren't too difficult! For a beginners tutorial, simply search "3D origami for beginners". There are a lot of beginner tutorials--each of them slightly different, so I'm not going to link to a specific tutorial. I had to go through a few myself before finding the one I liked the best.)

Eeveelution perler beads. Super cute and easy to do... but what do you do with the end product...?

Fox Ears headband; simply adjust the colours to your preferred eeveelution!

No comments:

Post a Comment